Irritable Bowel Syndrome (or IBS), is commonly characterized by lower abdominal pain and altered bowel function. IBS-C refers to IBS cases with the main symptom of constipation. Some cases are mild, while others have disabling chronic symptoms. The symptoms of IBS vary from person to person and may include:
- diarrhea and/or constipation (chronic or alternating)
- lower abdominal pain or spasms
- mucus in stool
- bowel urgency or incontinence
- lower abdominal pain relieved by defecation
- a sensation of the bowel not emptying completely
While the exact cause of IBS is unknown, significant evidence suggests that food sensitivities and allergies play a causative role. Lack of fibre may also be a factor, as healthy amounts of fibre keep food moving through the digestive tract. Insufficient fibre may result in food sitting in the colon for long periods and fermenting, thereby triggering IBS symptoms such as gas and bloating. Recent research demonstrates a link between an overgrowth of bad bacteria in the intestines and IBS.
Renew Life’s Solution For IBS-C (Constipation)
Support the intestines and
Re-establish good bacteria
Eliminate constipation while avoiding
Find your fibre balance
to improve symptoms
- Test for food sensitivities. The allergens most frequently seen to exacerbate IBS are dairy and grains (especially wheat and corn). Other trigger foods are citrus, chocolate, and high sulphur foods (garlic, onions, leeks, broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage and brussels sprouts).
- Avoid processed foods. Various chemical food additives and preservatives can cause bowel changes.
- Avoid stress. This is one of the most common causes of IBS.
- Drink plenty of water. Dehydration is one of the number one causes of constipation.