Constipation, characterized by infrequent bowel movements, can lead to gas, bloating, hemorrhoids, and fatigue. Natural health practitioners believe that the bowel is the foundation of good health, and having two to three bowel movements daily is beneficial for the entire body.
Constipation can exhibit any of the following symptoms:
- dry, hard or lumpy stools
- straining to have a movement
- incomplete evacuation or feeling like you still need to go
- a sense of difficulty in passing a stool
The following conditions and lifestyle factors can cause constipation:
- a diet high in refined carbohydrates
- prescription drugs such as cholesterol-lowering drugs, prostate drugs, and muscle relaxants
- IBS and disorders of the endocrine system which disrupt hormonal signals, such as diabetes or hypothyroidism
Renew Life’s Solution For Constipation
Cleanse your colon
Treat occasional constipation
without harsh laxatives
- Drink plenty of water, as dehydration is the most common cause of constipation.
- Exercise regularly. Even walking helps to move the body.
- Leave time to have a bowel movement. If urges to eliminate are ignored repeatedly, they become less frequent.
- Change your diet slowly, adding more fruits and vegetables (organic whenever possible). Reduce the amount of refined starches, sugar and processed foods in your diet.
- When traveling, try to maintain a normal diet and a regular sleep schedule.
- Position yourself correctly when using the toilet. Keep the feet raised on a small step stool or a device designed for proper eliminative posture (knees above the waist).