Toxins are all around us, and as much as we try to make healthy choices, they are still hard to escape. Using an herbal cleansing program 2-4 times per year helps to keep these toxins in check, but there are also some practices that can be put in place that can make a big difference to your health on a daily basis.
- Add plants to your home or workplace – Spider plants, aloe, Gerber daisies and chrysanthemum plants filter toxins from the air and add oxygen to indoor air. The added benefit is that they may just lift your spirits! Equally important is to get outside in nature as often as possible. Breathe deeply and let the sun hit your face.
- Clean out your kitchen – Remove the foods containing suspicious ingredients, artificial colours and sweeteners, chemical additives and preservatives (you’ll know them when you can’t pronounce them). Eat organic whenever possible and try to avoid sugar. Too much sugar can do as much damage to the liver as excess alcohol!
- Sweat it out! – The skin is the largest organ of your body because of its size and surface area and it is hugely important in detoxifying the body. Saunas, Epsom salt baths and exercise are great for sweating out unwanted toxins. Sweating daily is one of the best things you can do to detoxify.
- Use natural skin & cosmetic products – Now that we know that the skin is your largest organ of elimination, perhaps it is time to consider what you put on it. Check out the Skin Deep database which shows you what is hidden your beauty products. The shampoo, conditioner, body lotion, make-up and other beauty products that you use every single day could be among the largest sources of toxic exposure. That’s a price for beauty that we should not be willing to pay!
- Increase fibre intake – Did you know that it is recommended to consume 35 grams of fibre per day for good health? It’s true! Sadly, the average person in Canada gets less than 15 grams in their diet. Over time, a diet low in fibre can lead to a build-up of undigested food in the digestive tract which ferments, putrefies and becomes toxic. These toxins seep into the bloodstream and lead to poor health and chronic disease. Fibre is like a sponge that scrubs the intestinal tract clean and absorbs the toxins within. It may not be sexy, but increasing your fibre is one of the best things you can do for your health!
Include a green smoothie in your daily routine – Here is an amazing recipe that can be whipped up in no time!